Saturday, February 2, 2013

2. Journaling with ELLs

A type of teaching and curriculum tool that allows for non corrective feedback, and uses modeling instead is the use of the dialogue journals. Many case studies presented in my research found ESL students to have increased motivation with dialogue journals and collaborative personal works that had positive feedback with minimal corrections.



  • I would like to incorporate the use of dialogue journals or ELLs personal narratives and find if these methods increase motivation to write in English or change attitudes about writing.




  • ELLs would need to be interviewed or surveyed on current views about writing to compare with later views/attitudes/beliefs about writing after dialogue journals or personal narrative pieces have been used.



I have included articles and case studies relevant to ESL and journal writing:

I. Holmes, V. L., & Moulton, M. R. (1997). Dialogue journals as an ESL learning strategy. Journal Of Adolescent & Adult Literacy40(8), 616.


  • Holmes(1997) finds that students increase fluency because they don't have to constantly check for             mistakes and can write like the naturally speak. Also, finds an increase in motivation to write because ELLs of the lack of correction/feedback. 


II. Larrotta, C. (2009). Journaling in an adult ESL literacy program. New Directions For Adult & Continuing Education, (121), 35-44. doi:10.1002/ace.323

Read: Journaling in an adult ESL literacy program


  • Lorrotta(2009) implements a dialogue journal in her adult ESL classroom. The findings show ELLs had increased motivation. One learner in her study stated, "The letters we share are not boring. It is the first time I write so much in English. I write and wait for your response and that is fun"(p.40).

  • I would like to ask similar questions, so I can see progress and motivation of the participants. 

III.Dunkelblau, H. (2007). ESL Students Discover the Rewards of Reading through Reader Response Journals. Encounter20(2), 50-55.
Read: Dunkelblau(2007)


  • Dunkelblau(2007) uses journals for ELLs to respond to reading assignments. It was found that students incorporated personal experiences in their response and their responses increased over time 

IV. Orem, R. A. (2001). Journal Writing in Adult ESL: Improving Practice through Reflective Writing. New Directions For Adult And Continuing Education, (90), 69-77.
  • Orem(2001) discusses how journaling models language concepts without explicitly stating them, and can be used as a communicative and participation approach or a structural approach. 












No comments:

Post a Comment